Saturday, January 31, 2015

Pickled Eggplant


One of the simplest staples that was always around my house were my moms cured eggplants. As a kid I was disgusted by the very idea of squishy sour eggplants and I only started eating them around the end of high school along with a developing taste for everything bitter or sour.

I never had to make these when I was living in Israel, even after I moved out with my girlfriend and now fiancee. My mother was close by and I could have the original at least once a month. My better half never developed a taste for the squishy or the sour and I felt it a waste to make something that would be consumed only by me.

Living in NYC has driven me to create my own version of these amazing pickled eggplants and, while they are possibly not faithful to the original, they are incredible just the same. I usually serve them as a partner to my deviled eggs and you can have a taste of them as part of my Hungarian Dinner menu.

The Secret:
1. Salting and drying is important, give them enough time to drain.
2. Give them at least a day to pickle up, they last about a week before they get tired.
3. Don't be skimpy on the oil. Less oil doesn't make it healthier, if fried in deep hot oil less of it will soak into the eggplants.

What You Need:

2 Eggplants (the thinner the better)
1/4 cup of vinegar (simple vegetable white vinegar, non of the fancy stuff)
1 Tsp of Paprika (I like spicy, sweet works too)
2 Sliced and Peeled Garlic cloves
Canola Oil (or whatever kind you like to fry in)
2 Tbsp of Sea Salt

What To Do:

1. Slice the eggplants into 1/2 inch rings and toss them in a bowl with the salt.
2. Spread the rings over a baking net (preferably in the sun) for at least an hour.
3. Flip them over and give them another hour.
4. In steps 2-3 the eggplants were dehydrating and you will have a small pool of water under them. Soak whatever is left on them with a paper towel.
5. Heat oil in a pan, enough to almost cover the eggplants. It's warm enough when you dip one in and immediately see and hear the sizzle.
6. Put them in one by one so they don't over lap and fry for about 4 min on each side. They should look like this when they are ready to be flipped.
7. Lay them out on some paper towels to soak up the excess oil and repeat with the next batch.
8. Cool for at least 30 min.
9. In a small bowl mix paprika with vinegar and garlic.
10. Pile the fried eggplants in a small container and pour the mixture on top.
11. Cover and refrigerate.
12. At least once in the next 24 hours get the eggplants out of their container and flip the tower so the top ones get a chance to sit in the action juice.
13. Enjoy a wonderful eggplant that gets better everyday that passes in your fridge!

What Else?
Nothing else really, this is amazing because of it's simplicity. You could make a few deviled eggs to keep your eggplants company.











No comments:

Post a Comment